Thursday, September 16, 2010

Gown making 2010: step 1 the lining

I tried on the inner lining of the red gown today. Fitting number 1 down. Amazing how the lining is the backbone and foundation of a dress. All the red satin will be draped and formed over the lining of the dress. So far, so good. We have a long way to go until the dress will be ready. My friend Allison will be pleased to see that I've done something with the black bridesmaid dress I wore for her wedding back in 2003, I think? Every bride claims that they pick a dress that's simple so you can wear it again and while, it's a nice thought, those dresses usually just gather dust in the back of closets. This dress was the epitome of simple and versatile but it still never got worn. I brought this simple black dress with me knowing that I could have it altered. I added the gathered chiffon halter and long tie in the back of the neck. We added a bit of gather at the bust line but that was it. It's a new dress and definitely wearable again.

1 comment:

Rachel said...

The red lining looks like it's going to make a great dress! And I had to laugh about the bridesmaid dress, I don't think anyone can just re-wear one! Luckily you have a tailor to transform it for you!